One of the largest theater houses in Santiago. Opened in March, 1954, with the play “Shame for the family” and, since then, it has staged works such as “La pérgola de las flores”, “Madame Butterfly” and successful light operas, operettas and variety shows.
Carlos Cariola, a leading playwright, motived by the idea of building a space for artists in the capital, purchased the lands on San Diego in the mid 20th century.
In order to finance its construction, the artists went out into the streets asking for donations. The Government, the Municipality of Santiago, businessmen, traders and neighbors all made contributions.
A similar thing happened with the elements used to decorate the theater house, and each seat bears a plaque with the name of the donator.
Thanks to all these efforts, a five floor building was erected with two halls: the Carlos Cariola hall, seating 1,100, and a smaller one, seating 150, named after the actor Alejandro Flores.
Performances by national artists, such as the group Los Prisioneros and Inti-Illimani, have also been staged here.
San Diego, 246, Santiago.