Formerly called Calle de Las Agustinas.
It owes its name to the first congregation of nuns to set up in Santiago, in 1574. Under the aegis of the Town Council, the Augustinian Sisters withstood the period of the Spanish Conquest, which was characterized by its roughness, since most men served in the war. This was how the Augustinian convent became the main shelter for women fleeing from the assaults.
Initially, the convent extended from this street as far as Moneda; then an additional block was added between Bandera and Ahumada, as far as La Cañada, now Alameda street.
During the 18th century, the sisters increased their wealth and lands, focusing on educating needy girls, teaching them to reach and play the guitar, and giving rise to entertaining celebrations. The town would draw close to the convent in order not to miss what was going on there.
In 1852, the congregation sold the northernmost block, moving the church to its current location.
During the Colonial period, the University of San Felipe was established on this street, between San Antonio and Mac Iver, on the current location of the Municipal Theater, built during the times of the Republic.
Some of the illustrious personages in history who lived in this sector were Manuel Rodríguez, the Carrera brothers, and Benjamín Vicuña Mackenna.
On the corner with Ahumada, President Barros Luco ordered the Club Santiago to be erected. This building was designed to offer a more modern alternative to the traditional Club de la Unión.
Photography. Lorena Bruna, Tour Guide