Historically known as Calle de la Merced.
This street took its name from the early years of the Conquest, due to the Mercedarian Convent and Church erected there.
It stood out for being a street where aristocratic families used to live, and became known as “the Counts’ street”.
Among other residents here were the Count of the Conquest and President of the First National Government Junta of 1810, Mateo de Toro y Zambrano, whose house (Casa Colorada), now the Santiago Museum, still stands today in defiance to the ravages of time; the Mayor Luis Manuel Zañartu, and Francisco de la Carrera.
Another significant construction is the Church of La Merced, now a Basilica, which was one of the most sumptuous that has ever been in the city.
Photography. Lorena Bruna, Tour Guide