On Alameda Avenue with Brasil Avenue, stands this palace of eclectic architecture, which mixes architectural styles such as the Italian Renaissance, Gothic and Byzantine. It was built in the 19th century for Nazario Elguín Leiva (1815-1889), a wealthy mining businessman in the country and the first owner of “Los Bronces” copper mine, located in the Metropolitan Region.
In 1885, Elguín bought an extensive piece of land from the Mercedarians and commissioned the German architect Teodoro Burchard H. to build his palace at a remarkable time because the urbanization of Santiago was taking shape, from the subdivision of old farms destined for agriculture.
After decades of different uses and abandonment, in 2018, the Patrimonial Art Foundation took on the challenge of recovering the spaces of the building and giving life to an innovative cultural project, self-managed and closely linked to the local community.
The works considered the recovery of wooden floors, walls, doors and rearrangement of its 1,400 square meters, distributed over three floors. It has 20 large rooms and a basement that maintains the original columns from its construction in the 19th century and provides a perfect space for exhibitions. In addition, it houses the Visual Arts Room of the Universidad de Santiago de Chile, USACH.
The Palace was declared a National Monument in 2014.
Avenida Libertador Bernardo O'Higgins, 2133, Santiago.