This park was made in 1983 and covers 12 hectares lying between San Diego and Dieciocho. Along its streets can be found the Parroquia del Santísimo Sacramento (Holy Sacrament Parish Church) and the Cousiño Palace, as well as a variety of sculptures such as the equestrian statue of Diego de Almagro and the abstract work Pedro Aguirre Cerda.
The space where this park is located was, in the mid 17th century, part of an esplanade used as a resting point for travelers coming into the city from the south.
This quarter began to become consolidated as such following the foundation of San Diego street, a famous avenue built by the Franciscan Order and named after the San Diego Church.
The church was erected near La Cañada, nowadays known as Avenida Libertador Bernardo O’Higgins, and the street it gave rise to became the route along which mules loaded with goods were herded and travelers journeyed on foot or horseback.
The earliest reference to Almagro Park dates from 1828 when the Town Council of Santiago purchased land that had belonged to Admiral Manuel Blanco Encalada. On that spot was established the so-called Alameda de los Monos or Cañada del Conventillo, which in the 20th century was a food market.
Almagro Park was created in 1983 in this sector, where such beautiful National Monuments as the Cousiño Palace and the Church of Los Sacramentinos stand.
The park covers 12 hectares and features highlights like the equestrian statue of Diego de Almagro by Spanish sculptor Joaquín García Donaire, and the work called Pedro Aguirre Cerda, an abstract series of seven large-sized stone blocks set on a cement plinth bordered with cut stones.