Plaza Yungay


Address

Between Rosas, Santo Domingo, Sotomayor and Libertad

Overview

Set in the largest heritage quarter in Santiago, Plaza Yungay is the main meeting point for neighbors and organizations.

Built in 1839 in tribute to the Chilean victory at the Battle of Yungay on January 20 of that year, during the War against the Peru-Bolivia Confederation.

Each year it provides the setting for commemorating the anniversary of this heroic feat as well as for other neighborhood celebrations.

At its center stands the monument to the Roto Chileno, a work by sculptor Virginio Arias that extols the bravery of the common soldier.

History

This square was built in 1839 during the Presidency of José Joaquín Prieto in tribute to the Chilean victory at the Battle of Yungay on January 20 of that year, during the War against the Peru-Bolivia Confederation.

The place is linked to the origins of the quarter of the same name, as it coincides with the urbanization of the city towards the west, fostered by the authorities of the day.

A meeting point in the quarter, the square was originally known as Plaza Portales and was an authentic eucalyptus forest.

At its center stands the monument to the Roto Chileno, a creation in bronze by sculptor Virginio Arias, installed on October 7, 1888. It represents a man of humble origin, dubbed “Roto”, who joined the army troops armed with no weapons, only with his patriotism. In his right hand he holds a gun and on his back, a bag of wheat with a sickle sticking out. This work conveys a disdainful, proud attitude.

This one-and-a-half meter high sculpture is set on a pedestal and an artificial grotto with a font inside. It was presented at the 1882 French Artists’ Salon under the name “Defender of the Fatherland” and was awarded an honorable mention.

 

Santo Domingo, 2745-2799, Santiago.