Historically known as Calle Licenciado Pastene.
This street was named in the 17th century in tribute to Dr. Pastene, who in 1587 expelled three English brigantines that had put in at Quillota.
It was not until later that it was given its current name due to the emergence of a tradition: teenage girls were in the habit of going along this street to the Church of San Francisco in order to pray to find a husband.
Already in that period, in the early 18th century, there were some constructions with solid pillars and overhanging balconies on the corners of Monjitas and Merced. This was also the street where Lorenzo de Moraga lived, on the corner with Agustinas; his house was adjacent to La Quintrala’s. Other famous neighbors included General Bustamante, Manuel de Salas, Juan Martínez de Rozas and José Antonio Rojas.
In 1809, Francisco Vicuña Hidalgo erected the last house of the Colonial period, while Brunet des Baines built one of the first French-style mansions for Melchor Concha, the founder of Viña Concha y Toro. Both were on the corner with Calle Huérfanos, though from different angles.
In the course of 1900, the influence of French style could be noted in the construction of houses in the center of town. However, the earthquake of 1906 destroyed all the French splendor of the time, opening up the way to new styles and giving rise to modern office blocks.
Photography. Lorena Bruna, Tour Guide