It has the particularity of being the only theater in the world that operates on a bridge. Since it was re-opened in 2007, it has become consolidated as an innovative, startling venue for the Santiago public. It features an annual program of theater plays, workshops, exhibitions and book launches, among other activities.
Vicente Huidobro Bridge – where the theater stands – is also a lookout point, and the space design allows for observing how the day goes by in the city. A café opens two hours before each performance. The venue was declared a Historic Monument in 1997.
The bridge where the theater stands was built and installed in the Pío Nono Bridge sector in 1892. Almost one hundred years later, in 1984, it was moved on railway lines to its present location. In 1997, it was declared a Historic National Monument, and one year later, it opened as Teatro del Puente. After a period of operation, it closed its doors, but re-opened in 2007 as part of a recovery project. This involved completely changing the roof, renewing all electrical installations and incorporating the architectural changes required by the National Monuments Council.
Vicente Huidobro Bridge is one of a series of metal bridges installed over the Mapocho River between 1889 and 1893. In terms of materials and design, it follows the lines prevailing in mid 19th century Europe. Bridges were determining factors in the historical development of the north sector of Santiago, which used to be linked to the rest of the city by the Cal y Canto Bridge. The installation of new bridges provided for easier communication between the city and the old La Chimba quarter, in the north sector, so that the river was no longer a natural barrier in the city.
Río Mapocho, entre puentes Pío Nono y Purísima, Santiago.