The university was founded in 1888 by the Archbishop of Santiago, Mariano Casanova, the aim being to provide training inspired in Christian doctrine and academic excellence. On July 28, 1889, the university received the approval and blessing of Pope Leo XIII.
Its historical Administration Building is an imposing neo-classical style construction erected at the turn of the 20th century, which until 1960 housed all the university schools. Today, it houses some of the schools and the Extension Center, a department that offers both students and the community at large interesting cultural activities, such as cinema showings and exhibitions.
The Pontifical Catholic University of Chile was founded in 1888 by Archbishop Mariano Casanova, and was approved and blessed by Pope Leo XIII one year later.
Due to the close relationship between the university and the Holy See, forty years following the Pope’s approval, it was instituted canonically by Pope Pius XI. This led to the founding of the School of Theology.
Over time, the Catholic University began to grow, with six new schools being opened between 1920 and 1953: architecture, business, philosophy and education sciences, medicine, technology and theology. These were added to the work done by the other existing schools.
Opposite the building stands a monument to the historian Crescente Errázuriz and a bust of Abdón Cifuentes, a politician and co-founder of this university. In the west wing is the university’s Extension Center, which offers a varied cultural activity.
Avenida Libertador Bernardo O'Higgins, 340, Santiago.