The Central Post Office is housed in a building that is closely linked to the history of Chile, since that was the site where the Governors’ Palace used to be located at the turn of the 18th century, and Chile’s Presidential Palace from 1820 onwards.
In 1882, on the foundations of the old building, works began to build the post office, an institution devoted to handling domestic and international correspondence and parcels from the very heart of the city.
Inside is the Postal and Telegraphic Museum, featuring an exhibition of Chile’s postal history.
It was declared a National Monument in 1976.
From 1710 to 1712, under the Government of Andrés de Ustáriz, the Governors’ Palace was built. The work was commissioned from the Santiago judge Rodrigo Antonio Matías Quint de Valdovinos, who completed the construction in 1715.
From 1820 onwards, the building acted as Chile’s Presidential Palace, until in 1846, during the government of Manuel Bulnes, the residence of the heads of state was moved to the La Moneda Palace.
In 1881, after a fire that affected the building, construction began on the current building, designed for the mail service and where the company Correos Chile now operates
A Renaissance style building, on a rectangular base with a glass-covered roof.
Along with the Municipality of Santiago and the National History Museum, it is a harmonious historical-architectural terraced unit, set in the Typical Area of Downtown Santiago.
Plaza de Armas, 989, Santiago.