Edificio Club de la Unión


Address

Avda. Libertador Bernardo O’Higgins 1091

Phone

+56 2 24284600

Contact

ontacto@clubdelaunion.cl

Tickets

Members only

Overview

This club was founded in order to draw together the aristocracy of the close of the 19th century. Shortly after it was opened, it became the most relevant social and political center in the country. Its first one hundred members made up the social élite of the time.

Today’s building, by architect Alberto Cruz Montt, was erected between 1916 and 1925. Its rooms and décor are a living example of the opulence of that period.

On its walls hang paintings by the Chileans artists Pedro Lira, Alberto Valenzuela Llanos, Pedro Subercaseaux and Álvaro Casanova.

Nowadays, it is a must for large diplomatic meetings, official banquets and exclusive social occasions.

It was declared a Historic Monument in 1981.

History

The Club de la Unión was founded on July 8, 1864, with the purpose of providing a meeting venue for the conservative groups of the time. In 1869, President José Joaquín Pérez issued the decree that granted it legal existence.

This capital’s club had several headquarters until it was moved to its final location. Construction began in 1917, on the initiative of Luis Barros Borgoño, Chairman of the Institution.

Throughout its history, the most elegant celebrations held by Chilean aristocracy have been at the Club de la Unión in Santiago.

Architecture

The construction is characterized by its marked neo-classical French style of the turn of the 20th century and the harmony and elegance of its infrastructure make it one of the most attractive buildings in Chile.

The interior décor is the work of Carlos Cruz Montt, a renowned furniture maker of the time. On its walls hang famous paintings by Chileans artists: Pedro Lira, Alberto Valenzuela Llanos, Pedro Subercaseaux and Álvaro Casanova.

A walkthrough round the facilities shows its unique beauty. Statues, paintings, vases, glass chandeliers, streetlamps, drapes, “boiseries” and fine furniture adorn the marble floored halls, the fourteen large halls, the library, the five rooms, the large bar and the twelve dining rooms, distributed over the six levels of this traditional, elegant club, one of the most representative of its kind in the world.

 

Avenida Libertador Bernardo O'Higgins, 1091, Santiago.