This mall occupies the space where the El Mercurio newspaper facilities operated since 1901; prior to that, it used to be the palace of the Larraín Zañartu family, erected by French architect Lucien Henault in 1892.
A fire destroyed the property in 1983, leaving only the outside walls standing. After decades of being abandoned, in 2012, the first slow mall in Santiago, the modern “Espacio M”, was inaugurated. The intervention preserved the original façade of the heritage building and involved the construction of a contemporary-style shopping center inside.
It has more than 30 stores, distributed on the first and second floors. The third level is dedicated to the food court. The space is used for activities such as workshops, entrepreneur fairs and family events.
Compañía de Jesús, 1214, Santiago.