This palace, inspired in the Italian Renaissance, was used for over 50 years as the residence of the U.S. ambassador and then as the consulate for that country.
Its construction dates from 1916 and was commissioned by the millionaire nitrate businessman Augusto Bruna, who sold it without ever having lived in it.
A Historic Monument since 1981, it has housed the National Chamber of Commerce since 1996.
Augusto Bruna, a rich nitrate businessman, commissioned the construction of this palace in 1916. The work was completed five years later, but the Bruna family could not live there, because that period coincided with the great crisis of the nitrate industry.
In 1939, the property was purchased by the U.S. Embassy to be used as the residence of Ambassador Claude Bowers, who lived there for fourteen years.
In 1962, a modern residence for ambassadors was built, the palace being assigned to host the U.S. consulate. Only in 1995 was the building purchased by the National Chamber of Commerce, an institution which restored it the following year.
The palace, inspired in the Italian Renaissance, has three levels and features a very attractive play of volumes. The second level incorporates various terraces, one of which is located above the access and is supported by columns.
Between the second and third level, a beautifully carved garland trim runs along all the facades.
On the inside, the use of green and black marble slabs, and the quality of the flooring, all wood parquet imported from Europe, is striking.
Merced, 230, Santiago.