The Alhambra Palace, of Moorish architecture, is a faithful representative of the trend experienced in Santiago in the late 19th century, when luxury homes were built in the capital.
It was built between 1860 and 1862 as the residence of the wealthy mining entrepreneur Francisco Ossa Mercado.
With an eye on Europe, Ossa sent architect Manuel Aldunate to Spain to visit other palaces, which is why the construction is clearly inspired in the Alhambra of Granada.
Since 1940, the property belongs to the National Society of Fine Arts, an institution dedicated to supporting artists new to the field of painting.
This palace was declared a National Monument in 1973.
Francisco Ignacio Ossa, discoverer and owner of the Chañarcillo silver deposit, commissioned architect Manuel Aldunate Avaria to turn into a reality his dream of having a palace in Santiago.
Aldunate traveled to Spain to seek inspiration in the Alcazar of Seville and the Alhambra of Granada, in order to perform the task assigned.
On the death of the mining magnate, the Alhambra palace became the property of Claudio Vicuña Guerrero, another millionaire. With the Revolution of 1891, the house was confiscated to be transformed into military barracks. During this stage damage was incurred, with the disappearance of works of art and the rich furniture that it contained.
Vicuna sold the property and its new owner, Julio Garrido Falcón, became responsible for restoring it. Finally, in 1940 he donated it to the National Society of Fine Arts, an institution that supports the work of artists who are starting up in painting.
The Alhambra Palace has a Moorish architecture and represents the late 19th century house model, characterized by their interior courtyards.
Its design is based on plasterwork and horseshoe arches, inspired by the Alhambra Palace of Granada.
The main access is through an entrance hall leading to the first courtyard, while the next courtyard contains a reproduction of the Lions’ Fountain in Granada.
Compañía de Jesús, 1340, Santiago.