This mansion was built in 1918 by architect Alberto Cruz Montt for Luis Eguiguren Valero and his wife, Elisa Yrrarrázabal Correa.
The quarter where it stands used to draw together the most important and leading personages of public life in Santiago.
Eguiguren was a respected lawyer and member of the Conservative Party, who held various public positions. Five children came from his marriage. Elisa, the eldest, lived with her parents until the residence was sold in 1950.
Following Eguiguren’s death, the house was purchased by the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, an institution that set up a Teacher Training School there. Later on, the facility was occupied by the DUOC UC to house the Alonso de Ovalle campus, for which it is used today.
In December 2017, Consejo de Monumentos Nacionales (Council of National Monuments) approved the declaration of this building as a Historical Monument.
A mansion built in a classical architectural style, embellished with Corinthians columns, round arches and a balustrade balcony over the main access. All these elements give it the richness and quality that this construction set out to echo on its three floors.
Padre Alonso de Ovalle, 1586, Santiago.