One of the most characteristic gastronomical centers of Santiago, in whose restaurants one can taste typical Chilean food, mainly based on seafood.
It has acquired more notoriety in 2012, when National Geographic chose it the fifth best food market in the world.
The venue is characterized by the metal structure crowning it. Designed by architect Fermín Vivaceta, the precinct began to be built in 1868, and was opened four years later.
In 2004, the Central Market area was renovated to enhance its heritage value and revitalize urban life there and Since August 2017, the corridors and the central square of the place have a free Wi-Fi network.
The building was declared a National Monument in 1984.
The Central Market is located on the site where the Plaza de Abastos (wholesale market) was located from 1817 onwards. Almost 50 years later, a fire destroyed those facilities and the Municipality of Santiago ordered the construction of a formal market for the city.
The work was inaugurated in 1872 by Mayor Benjamin Vicuña Mackenna.
Its metal frame in galvanized iron was cast in England, according to the design by Manuel Aldunate.
The Central Market is an outstanding example of metal architecture, many notable examples of which can be found in Chile.
On the outside, points of sales for various products give a great boost to a sector frequented by large crowds and featuring a notably popular air.
Visitors’ attention is drawn by its corridors lined with food stands, restaurants and premises selling handicrafts, fruits, vegetables, fish and seafood.
San Pablo, Santiago.